Hi! I'm Theia (they/them or she/her). I'm a programmer and computational linguist. I'm currently working at SecureDNA, building a system to screen DNA synthesis orders for potentially hazardous material.
In my free time I enjoy knitting, listening to history podcasts, writing fiction and blog posts, and working on various side projects.
My projects are a mix of compilers, natural language processing, games and game development tools, and contributions to miscellaneous open-source projects. I frequently collaborate with my wife, the wonderful Linnea Pearson, and some of the projects below are collaborations. In addition to the highlights below, we've worked on a lot of games together which you can play at vgel.itch.io.
- my blog and short fiction
- sortes alearum — A simulator for an ancient Anatolian lot oracle. Get advice from the gods!
- GPTed — Token-level "semantic spellchecking" with GPT-3
- themengi — An in-development game about learning an alien language.
- the fall of mezentople — Guide the decline and fall of an empire. #ld50
- the flock and the flood — Guide your sheep around a procedurally-generated island and keep them above the steadily rising waves for as long as possible. #ld51
- the sacred text — Play as a god as your followers try to figure out your true word. #gmtk2019
- pointcloud visualizer — A visualization of a LIDAR pointcloud scan of a church.
- flowfield — Randomly generated flow fields.
- treebender — A framework (HDPSG) for writing symbolic natural language grammars.
- summarize.py — A python library for autosummarizing text in a simple, non-ML way.
- hoverator — A fun and hard arcade-y hovercraft game.
- more at vgel.itch.io